Washing your face is easy. All you do is soap up a washcloth and scrub until your face is clean. Although you may have been shown this technique when you were young, washing your face so harshly can really affect your appearance in a bad way.
Board-certified dermatologists advise that people need to treat their faces gently. You should never scrub your face. They recommend mild cleansing products as opposed to harsh agents. Scrubbing your face or using strong chemicals irritates your skin, which makes it look worse than if it were cleansed more carefully.Dermatologists recommend the following tips for healthy-looking skin.
- Use a mild cleanser with no abrasives or alcohol.
- After wetting your face with lukewarm water, apply the cleanser gently to your face with your fingertips. Be careful not to scrub your face.
- Rinse your face thoroughly with lukewarm water. Use a soft towel to pat your face dry.
- If you have dry or itchy skin, apply moisturizer. Be especially careful when applying moisturizer near your eyes because this skin is delicate and can be damaged easily.
- Wash your face twice a day, in the morning and at night. You should also wash it after sweating profusely. Don’t forget to wash as soon as you can if you sweat a lot while wearing a hat.
If you have any specific questions, give us a call. We will answer any questions you have regarding how to care for your skin, hair and nails.
You can view the short film below that outlines the proper way to wash your face. The video was made as part of National Healthy Skin Month, which is in November. You can see this and other videos on the American Academy of Dermatology’s website. It is one of many videos in the Dermatology A to Z: Video Series, which show how to properly care for skin, hair and nails. A new video is posted every month.